Payment & Shipping Terms:
CAS 9003-01-4 White Carbomer,
20kg White Carbomer,
CAS 9003-01-4 carbomer in cosmetics
CAS 9003-01-4 color white The properties and applications of carbomer
The properties of carbomer:
Pomm is a white, loose powder with strong hygroscopicity and soluble in water, ethanol and glycerin. According to the different structure of polymer monomers, it can be divided into two categories: Carbomer 900 series and Carbomer 1300 series. The former is obtained by cross-linking acrylic acid monomer (C3H4O2) with allyl sucrose or allyl pentaerythritol. The latter is a cross-linked polymer of acrylic acid-alkyl methacrylic acid copolymer and allyl pentaerythritol.
Carbomer has a wide range of applications and can be used in topical lotions, creams, and gels. The carbomer gel system is an excellent gel matrix in a neutral environment. It has a crystal clear appearance and a smooth feel. It is very suitable for preparing creams or gels. At the same time, due to its simple process and good stability, it feels comfortable after use. Therefore, it is widely used in topical administration, especially in skin and ophthalmic gels.
The application and scope of carbomer in pharmacy:
This product is mainly used as a water-soluble base for ointments, gels, etc., as a binder and film coating material for tablets, granules, etc., sustained-release matrix materials, emulsifiers, thickeners, suspending agents, etc. .
1. Used as adhesive and film coating material
As a binder for granules and tablets, the dosage of carbomer is mainly determined by the physical and chemical properties of the main drug and the requirements of the prescription design. The general dosage is 5%~10%.
2. Used as a sustained-release framework material
Carbomer forms a unique network structure due to the covalent cross-linking between chains. It forms a gel after hydration and swelling. It is used as a hydrogel matrix material in a slow-release control agent, and the drug is controlled by the formed gel layer. Release. Carbomer, as a sustained-release material, has a small dosage, which can increase the choice of prescription, generally 6%~10% of the prescription amount, and has excellent compressibility, good compatibility with other excipients, and can make the drug It is zero-order or nearly zero-order release (zero-order release: the drug release rate does not change with time, that is, the rate remains constant during the drug release cycle). The type and dosage of carbomer can affect the release of the drug. The sustained-release effect of 974P is stronger than that of 934P. The release rate of tablets containing 10% carbomer 974P is similar to that of 30% 934P. In addition, factors such as the solubility of the drug and the pH of the medium also affect the release of the drug.
3. As a base for ointments, suppositories, gels, etc.
The pH of 1% carbomer solution is about 2.5~3.0, adding sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate, borax and triethanolamine and other alkali regulators, the viscosity will increase to form a gel, generally the most viscous at pH 6~12 , Can be used as the matrix of water-soluble semi-solid preparations, the dosage is generally 0.5%~3%. The gel matrix releases drugs quickly, is non-greasy, easy to spread, has no irritation to skin and mucous membranes, can be mixed with aqueous solutions and can absorb tissue exudate, which is beneficial to the exclusion of secretions.
4. As emulsifier, thickener and suspending agent
Carbomer can be used as an auxiliary emulsifier of O/W type (oil-in-water) emulsifier in emulsion, the dosage is 0.1%~0.5%; in solution and suspension, it can be used as thickener and suspension. The dosage commonly used as a gel is 0.5%~2%; the dosage as a suspending agent is 0.5%~1%. In addition, as a carboxyl polymer, carbomer has strong bioadhesiveness. Among them, carbomer 934 has the strongest adhesion. Bioadhesive preparations based on it have been widely used in clinical practice. Bioadhesives for the nose, vaginal bioadhesives, rectal bioadhesives, oral or oral bioadhesives, etc.
1. Carbomer discolors when encountering resorcinol, high concentration electrolyte, strong acid (pH<3), strong alkali (pH>12) can reduce the viscosity of the gel, and alkaline earth metal ions and cationic polymers can be combined with it to become insoluble Salt should be avoided in compatibility. Prolonged agitation or high-shear agitation, the presence of electrolytes and long-term ultraviolet radiation will cause the viscosity of the carbomer gel to decrease.
2: The aqueous solution of carbomer is prone to mold growth, and preservatives should be added, but certain preservatives (such as benzalkonium bromide or sodium benzoate) at high concentrations (0.1%) cause turbidity and decrease in viscosity. Light can cause oxidation and cause a sharp drop in viscosity. When triethanolamine is used as an alkali regulator, the light stability of the gel can be improved.
1. Because carbomer is non-toxic and harmless, the aqueous solution is permanently stable, and the drug release is stable, it is widely used in pharmaceuticals.
2. In all carbomer models, the ones with "P" represent oral administration, and the others are for general external use.
3. Carbomer viscosity in CP2015: A<B<C, carbomer viscosity in USP38: 910<941<934<940.
4. Carbomers with lower viscosity are generally used in gels. For example, carbomer 941 is suitable for topical gels or topical lotions; carbomers with higher viscosity are mostly used in creams. For example, Carbomer 940 is often used as a topical cream, topical ointment, and can also be used to make thicker ophthalmic gels. Because Carbomer 934 has good bioadhesion, it is often used as a topical agent such as rectal enema and vaginal gel. Carbomer 934P is often used in tablets such as oral lozenges and oral capsules, as well as gels and creams. In fact, the application boundary of different types of carbomer is not clear. In the pharmaceutical process, the choice and dosage of carbomer mainly depend on the physical and chemical properties of the main drug and the requirements of prescription design.
5. Carbomer is a white loose powder, which can reach the maximum viscosity only when it is close to neutral, and is a clear solution (sodium hydroxide solution is used in the laboratory to adjust the 0.5% carbomer solution to make its pH 7.3~7.8, Then use a special instrument to measure its viscosity), it will precipitate out of the solution in the presence of other pH or salt particles.
6. In addition, in the traditional process, carbomer 934, 934P, 940, and 1342 use benzene as the solvent in the synthesis process, so more or less benzene will remain in the finished product. According to the regulations of USP38, carbomer 934, 940 benzene The content must not exceed 0.5%, the benzene content of carbomer 934P must not exceed 0.01%, and the benzene content of carbomer 1342 must not exceed 0.2%, and products that use benzene as a solvent must be labelled not to be taken orally. Through process improvement, carbomer with no benzene residue appears on the market, carbomer 971 is carbomer 940 without benzene, carbomer 974 is carbomer 934 without benzene, and their residual solvent is ethyl acetate. . At present, our company uses scientific and environmentally friendly benzene-free technology to synthesize carbomer.
Contact Person: Sales Manager