CAS # 9003-01-4 Lubrizol Carbomer 980 Cosmetic And Health Products
Carbopol,also called Carbomer or Carboxypoly-methylene is a generic name for synthetic high molecular weight polymers of acrylic acid used as thickening, dispersing, suspending and emulsifying agents in pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. They may be homopolymers of acrylic acid, crosslinked with an allyl ether pentaerythritol, allyl ether of sucrose or allyl ether of propylene.
Carbomer 980 is a polyacrylic acid cross-linked polymer that can form a high-viscosity gel at very low concentrations. Carbomer 980, as an efficient thickener, suspending agent and gel base, has been widely used in leave-on gel materials and cosmetics. Carbomer 980 series is white loose powder It has good thickening performance, high transparency, high viscosity, strong suspension ability, short rheology carbomer of co-solvent system, and has excellent suspension stability performance. The main characteristics are swelling and slightly acidic.
[Application of Carbomer 980]
Carbomer 980 is an acrylic cross-linked resin obtained by cross-linking acrylic acid with pentaerythritol, etc. It is a very important kind of rheology modifier. After neutralization, carbomer is an excellent gel matrix, which is important for thickening and suspension. Uses, simple process, good stability, widely used in emulsions, creams, gels.
Carbomer 940 has an efficient thickening effect and can produce clear and transparent water or ethanol-hydrogel with very short rheology.
Very suitable for all kinds of cosmetics. Such as: moisturizing creams, lotions, cleansing products, sunscreen products, non-alcoholic perfumes, fragrance hair conditioners (enhance gloss, easy to comb), etc.
Carbomer 940 can produce high-efficiency thickening effect at very low dosage (conventional dosage 0.25-0.5%), thus preparing emulsions, creams, gels and transdermal preparations with a wide viscosity range and different rheological properties . After carbomer neutralization, long-term stirring or high-shear stirring will cause viscosity loss
||Carbomer, polyacrylic acid, carbopol
1. Carbomer's levitation
Carbomer can make the liquid system have a special yield value and rheology, and only a very low concentration can make some insoluble additives (particles, oil droplets, etc.) permanent suspension. It is precisely because of this strong suspending ability that carbomer is widely used to stabilize traditional emulsions and creams, oil droplets and water-insoluble matter in suspension solutions. Other thickeners are often not available. Very high thickening suspension power and yield value.
2. Rheology of Carbomer
Most carbomer gels have almost no rheology. When the carbomer gel is stressed, its viscosity will immediately decrease, but when the stress disappears, its viscosity will be restored immediately.
3. Carbomer sensitivity
Mechanical shearing-After carbomer is neutralized, long-term stirring or high-shear stirring will cause viscosity loss
The presence of ions-electrolytes will reduce the thickening efficiency
·Ultraviolet rays--Long-term ultraviolet radiation will reduce the viscosity of the carbomer gel when pH>/=10, when exposed to ultraviolet rays
4. Carbomer's insensitivity
·Temperature change--Carbomer gel is not affected by temperature
·Microorganisms-Carbomer does not support the growth of bacteria and mold, and the growth of bacteria and mold does not affect the gel properties. The conventional dosage is 0.2-0.4%, which can replace 3-7% of conventional emulsifiers. Carbomer polymer has almost no surfactant properties, so adding 0.1-0.5% surfactant with low HLB value can adjust the oil phase particles to be smaller to prepare white and delicate cream products.
5. Carbomer polymer emulsifier is better than general emulsifier
·Effective at a very low concentration-0.1-0.5%, replacing the traditional surfactant dosage of 3-7%
·Not restricted by HLB value and PlT
·Can emulsify any liquid oil at room temperature
·If the wax is melted during the manufacturing process, the wax can be emulsified
·Give full play to the wetting, dispersing, adhesion and other functions of surfactants to make stable emulsions
·It will not re-emulsify when re-wetting, and it is easy to prepare waterproof emulsion without film-forming agent
·The high oil phase can be dissolved in water to form (o/w) emulsion
Can be prepared: moisturizing creams, lotions, cleansing products, sunscreen products, non-alcoholic perfumes, fragrance hair conditioners (enhanced gloss, easy to comb), hand sanitizers, low-consistency sprayable emulsions and transparent microemulsions, etc. There are many methods to reduce the difficulty of carbomer in application. One method is to add carbomer to the oil phase system to slow down its swelling speed, the so-called indirect method, but it depends on the formulation. Carbomer is not very sensitive to changes in the addition process.
Application of Carbomer 980:
1. Used as raw material for disposable gel.
2. Used in skin care lotions, creams, and transparent gel products.
3. Transparent skin care gel, hair styling gel, shampoo, bath lotion and other products.
4. Used as scale inhibitor and dispersant in industrial water treatment. Good compatibility. It can also be used for pre-treatment of drinking water. Used to separate red mud in the preparation of alumina. Used to refine brine in chlor-alkali plants.
5. Used in the preparation of finishing agents for leather and some high-end commodities, and the preparation of acrylic resin paints, etc.
6. Used to fix chromium salt, assist tanning, reduce chromium pollution, etc.
7. Used to improve the processing performance of PVC.
8. Used as corrosion inhibitor, water quality stabilizer, quenching agent, thickening agent, etc.
9. Used as leather finishing filler, textile sizing agent and water quality stabilizer.
10. Used in the manufacture of acrylic resin paints.
11. It can be used as a film-forming agent and adhesive in leather finishing agent, and also used to make polyacrylic resin latex paint.
12. It is widely used in the decoration of light leather, such as top leather, clothing leather, glove leather, etc. It can enhance the bending resistance, extensibility, light resistance, aging resistance, cold resistance and heat resistance of the leather. It is used to modify the grain leather with pigment paste The main modification film former.
13. It is mostly used in the manufacture of cosmetics, as an ointment can promote the absorption of yellow mold gray mold, and can be used for controlled release of drugs.